Medicopter 117. Being one of my favourite TV shows, I couldn't resist building teh model when I came across it. This project actually started back in 2009 and was supposed to become my first detailed model.
Now, having given new life to my hobby, I decided to give it another go. I bought 4 additonal kits amongst many other aftermarket parts that would all be turned into one. A project of massive proportions that took an interesting direction when I was challenged by a friend; Philipp, this one is for you!
Date Started: May 26, 2014
Date Finished: N/A
The Making of
That's it, that's all. The end of the line. After having stashed the model in a box under my desk for the last 4 years, it saddens me to inform you I've decided to cancel the project all together. With so many other models in my stash waiting to be build for which I have a lot more motivation than the BK-117, I realised I would never complete it. So as a part of moving house and clearing out, the model went.
I would like to thank you all for your fellowship on this build and look forward to have you again during my future endeavours, it's been a real joy. Be sure to take a look at the current projects to stay up-to-date on what I'm working on at the moment.
See you there!
Although some work has been done, I've never made such slow progress as on this project. To be honest, I've reached the point in that I've put it aside, as I'm getting too frustrated to continue. So for now this will be the last update on the BK, but I'll let you know when she's back in the workshop.
Slow, very slow… That’s how this project is progressing. I’m sure some of you have already given up on this project, wondering if it will ever finish. I must admit that at certain points of this build I thought the exact same thing and was ready to bin the whole thing. But I can’t, simply because I made a promise to someone who has done great things for me. Let’s get going with this build!
A large period of time has passed since the last blog update (a staggering 5 months!) and I did manage to get a few things done (or a large part of it). A short list of things are:
Welcome back to another long awaited update on the BK-117 project. After being at work for 2 weeks, I was ready for a healthy dosis of cutting, sanding, painting and glue sniffing.
Having posted an update on the ARC forum as well (follow here), I received a lot of interesting comments that made me think hard about the project. As someone pointed out very clearly, the TV series used 2 helicopters throughout the seasons. Now the issue with that is as follows; One of them (D-HECE) is an actual EMS helicopter while the other one (D-HEOE) is a police helo. Thus resulting in 2 very different aircraft if you look closely. The main differences can be seen in the tailboom, interior and engine air inlets on the engine cowl doors. Another difference is the window in the left aft door (EMS version). So before I could continue with my model, I had to decide which one I'd be replicating. After saving a lot of photos of both aircraft, I made the choice to build D-HECE, as used in the pilot episode of the series. This is the version that got me hooked to the show in the first place. What followed were hours of (re)watching the pilot episode and taking as many screenshots as I could to get the needed photos of the interior and close-up details. Must have seen it 6/7 times by now, I can almost finish any conversation in the episode (and no, that's not a challenge I'll accept!)
It has been a long wait again, as I moved to my new apartment in the UK and with work keeping me away for 2 weeks. However, after setting up my new workstation and getting all my new equipment, I was ready to get back to work. And boy, did I create myself some extra work...
Finally, after many months of waiting, my modelling equipment has arrived and I was able to set up my work desk. I’ve been doing a lot of research in the meantime on the subject and managed to get a lot of good information. Once my desk was set up, I got busy.
Starting with unpacking the boxes and sorting out what I collected during the previous few months, I got a good look at the massive size of this project. A few years ago, before moving to the USA, I started a kit of the BK-117, although not planned to be as detailed as now. I discovered that I already had cut out the doors on one of the sides, which was great news as I can new use this. I had to cut out the other half however. Took quite a while before I had them all cut out and lost one of the halves in the process, but the doors came out which was the ultimate goal. I now have one good set of doors and one good shell. The right side will remain closed, both doors and upper cowls, as I think this will add more to the realism than having all doors open.
After being challenged to take this project to the next level of detail, I started collecting parts and additional kits to achieve this goal. Follow my progress on this build as I try to work my way through it.
To add a new dimension to this project, I will be presenting a time-lapse at the end. I've tried it a little and it's pretty good looking. A sample is posted in the photo section.
As soon as I'm finished with my U-96 project, I will be posting more updates here.
Comp. Reg. (UK): 13778584
VAT. Reg. (UK): 398 4757 24
Niek Nijsen Ltd. © 2008 -
All Rights Reserved